7 Tips for Your Spring Family Session | Heidi Grace Photography
I recently had a fabulous spring family session with Marie and her family in Yucaipa, Ca. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – I truly have the best clients ever! This family was no exception, either. And what was even more exciting about this session, was that it was also a pregnancy announcement! Anything pregnancy makes me happy. Marie is a Mommy Blogger, and has a fun and awesome blog about finding joy and living simply. Check out her blog here. So I got to thinking, What does it take to prepare for a Spring Session? I decided that I would put together some quick and easy tips to ensure your day is stress free and flawless for your upcoming Spring Family Session.
7 Tips for Preparing for Your Spring Family Session
1. Wear layers. Spring can be finicky in the sense that you can go from frigid to over heated in a matter of minutes. I suggest wearing layers — tank top, tee shirt, cardigan, scarf, etc. That way each family member can peel off, or add, a layer as they see fit and remain comfortable throughout the session. Thank goodness for this session, the weather was nice and warm, but not too warm, and they were able to stay in one layer outfits.
2. Location is a big deal. You better believe we’re going to take advantage of the fresh, warm air and all those bud popping up from the ground and in the trees. I only shoot at select locations around the Inland Empire, but have plenty to choose from to meet the style of your spring family session. This mama is all about simple living and loves all things rustic and farmhouse. I knew right away she would love my Yucaipa spot.
3. Play into the colors of the season when choosing your family’s outfits. You can never got wrong with neutral and earth toned outfits. My suggestions are always, blues, grays, whites, greens, and browns, then add a small pop of color. I recommend choosing a color theme for the whole gang, then slightly deviating from that with accessories to keep things interesting. This mama wore a beautiful watch and necklace, and then added a hat for part of her session. Her little girl had on the most darling bow.
4. Speaking of accessories: wear them! Choose jewelry, scarves, or prints that play into the spring theme. Don’t be afraid to wear that flower crown or piece of statement jewelry. Check out my last blog post where I give you a few ides on what to wear for a session.
5. Time it right. Book a session too early in the year and you may miss out on those spring buds. Book too late and you’ve already wandered into summer territory. In Southern California, we have a very short window of green grass and wildflowers. You can always contact me and we can figure out when the best time of year for a specific location will be.
6. Incorporate props, but always keep it simple. You don’t want the prop to over power you or your family. Spring offers some beautiful backdrops where props blend in perfectly. For example, old wooden chairs look stunning in a sea of blooming tiny flowers, and a quilted blanket is lovely on the fresh, green grass.
7. Really think about your footwear. Spring can often mean a soggy ground, so flip-flops or heels are not the best choice. Instead, wear something that’s comfortable and spring appropriate, like loafers, flats, wedges or boots.
I hope these 7 tips will help you in planning your next Spring family Session!
Hi! I’m Heidi with Heidi Grace Photography. I’m a wife and mom that adores living in Southern California, and capturing moments over poses for families in some of the most beautiful locations in the Inland Empire. I specialize in children’s and family photography, and am based out of Beaumont, Ca.
Ready to book a session with me? Contact me here